Monday, May 20, 2013

Front Door Wreath

I've been wanting to create my own wreath for my front door. I've seen a lot of beautiful wreaths on the net created by talented artists. I really love burlap and so I wanted burlap roses on my wreath. I started by buying a roll of 4 inch burlap in a craft store. Then, I searched Youtube for a how to on making ribbon roses. I started by folding over my burlap lengthwise so that it was about 2 inches wide. Then I had my glue gun close by and started creating as described on the video.
Rose how to video

I found some raffia that I had bought twenty years ago and cut off a length, tied a knot in the middle and glued it to my grape vine wreath. Next, I glued a cluster of three burlap roses on top of the raffia knot. I wanted to incorporate a Canadian flag and the smallest I could find was 9 inches by 18 inches. (I had seen a wreath somewhere on the net that had a wreath decorated with several small flags). There was no doweling in my craft box so I improvised and used a knitting needle as the flag pole.  I glued everything down with my hot glue gun.

I'm really pleased how this turned out. It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the prairie wind....


4 comments:

  1. WOW - you did GREAT. I just LOVE how this turned out and it is perfect for your front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm still lovin' on this wreath you made!! I think I'll pick up a roll of that burlap & have it in front of me when I take the time to watch the video...if I flop, maybe you could send me some Canadian Roses : P ????!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies and ScrappyMama, you can't flunk it! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dein Türkranz ist einfach Wunderschön. Auch ich mache meine Rosen immer selber, mit jedem Material, Papier, Alte Zeitungen, Katonstreifen, Bänder, Stoffstreifen, auch alte Jeans. In allen Grössen.
    Ein schönes Wochenende, Ulla

    ReplyDelete