Monday, January 7, 2013

Keeper of the Photos



Last winter, I spent the whole winter scanning all the heritage photos from both sides of the family. I had started the winter before but had not completely finished. Since then, I have acquired a few more and need to scan those in order to get organized. I have an Epson V500 photo scanner that my guys bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Best scanner on the market. It has come down 50% in price since we got ours. It comes with a Photoshop Elements version also...that I have no idea how to work...but again, another thing to learn.

Our family photographer retired and was selling all the negatives from our professional photos over the years. My high school graduation, our wedding, family photos of our little family....I bought them all. Then last fall, when my mom found more old photos again, we came across a family photo that had been taken when I was about 18. I didn't remember even being in that photo. Then we started putting the pieces together and figured out that they had been taken at my brother's wedding. I called up our retired photographer and asked if I could purchase the wedding negatives as my brother was divorced and deceased. He sold them to me for $25. I got them later that week, what treasures we found! I scanned all the negatives and tried my best to start scrapping them but my life is so crazy! So I decided to use the Creative Memories program called Storybook Creator, that my cousin Rose had talked me into purchasing, to create a memory album that I could get printed. At first, I was intimidated and watched all of the how to videos on their website. I did start, but my fear of failure got to me and I put it aside. Several months later, now in January, I decided a couple of nights ago to give it a whirl one more time. I watched the videos and then I started to play with the program. It wasn't that bad. It took me two days and two evenings, but I finished the album. Clicked onto their website to order one copy in the 12 X 12 format, then I saw they had a sale...gets better and better. When I was in the order process, I saw that I could also get 8 X 8 albums with my 12 X 12 format. I had initially started with the  12 X 12 format and wanted to change the size but I couldn't figure it out. So I called my mom and asked her if she wanted a copy and ordered two more for my boys. Done deal. I went to bed and had a great sleep, no longer worrying how I was going to get all these photos cataloged and documented. My mom is 85 and the last of those who would know who these people were and their stories. I have both sides of my family to document and then I'm starting to collect for my husband's side of the family. I have some, but not a whole lot.

What I'm trying to get to is this: Sometimes life is crazy and all the wonderful things we want to do, get lost in the shuffle. Sometimes one has to understand that one is only human. I'm a busy girl with a busy life. Even though I love paper crafting and tons of other creative things, I'm just too busy right now. So, for now, the Heritage albums will be quickly done up to preserve names and dates and some stories. I can redo them in paper when I'm not so crazy busy. That's the plan.

In all honestly, this has taken a huge weight off of my shoulders. Once these digi albums are done, I can go back to creating with paper and love it again. No more stressing about what is most important to do first, I'll be scrapbooking with real photos and paper with no more stress, the way I've enjoyed it when I started.

For me, the love of photos and paper just meet up together in my happy place and once the old photos have been taken care of, I will be returning to my happy place and loving it once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment