My Grandpere's chair stripped to the best of my ability. It really is in pretty good shape considering it's over 100 years old. It has character like extra nails where it's fallen apart before and the two screws that hold the arms in place are not the same and the arms are not in the correct places. One of the spindles holding one of the arms is much smaller than the others.
The seat has a splice in it, which we couldn't see before because it was covered in a dark brown color of something or other.
The back of the chair is still remarkably well preserved in it's design. Quite amazing....
This is a view from the back of the chair, again you can see the splice in the seat of the chair. It looks rather odd.
This is my garage sale chair. We've determined it's not all made of the same wood. No matter how much stripper we put on the chair seat, we could not take the finish off in about a third of the seat. There are a few places elsewhere on the chair that we are unable to take the finish off.
The spindles cleaned up really well. The arms of the chair seem to be made of some other type of wood.
The back view of the chair, it cleaned up pretty good.
The next step is to let both chairs dry out for the next week. Then both will be lightly sanded in preparation for their new finish. The garage sale chair will be painted in white to protect the wood because it will be outside on the deck. It rocks really nice and smooth and just perfect for my short legs.