Monday, May 7, 2012

A love affair with yarn


I have a habit of picking up yarn at garage sales. I have garbage bags full of colorful skeins just ready to be used and fabricated into wonderful blankets. I love making blankets the most. This one is crocheted and I love how funky it truly is. I never have trouble finding homes with my handmade blankets. My new E2 has arrived and I can't wait to cut fabric with it for a jean quilt. For me, jean quilts just remind me of my Memere Anna who loved making quilts out of pieces of jeans, overalls and clothing that was worn at the knees. Nothing went to waste at her house as she raised a large family during the Depression. I find it relaxing to sit in front of the television and creating with yarn. Since making this blanket, I have added Knifty Knitter looms to my creative arsenal. Love those looms!

This is my poodle Zoe for whom I created this cute little dog sweater on one of the Knifty Knitter looms. It was easy and I just so enjoy working on those looms. It's nice to relax with a Knifty Knitter loom in my lap.

10 comments:

  1. I want to learn to make a sweater for my dog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the size of your dog on which loom you use. A lot of the patterns stated the blue kk loom for my dog's size but it was too small and she's only 5 pounds. So the red loom is just right for her. It gives lots of room to put the sweater over her head and she doesn't squirm nearly as much when she has to put on her sweater!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your blog, I am a new follower and looking forward to your crafty creations!

    www.scrappindhilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you'll forever be #1 on my blog!

      Delete
  3. Your blanket is beautiful! I am a new follower-- can't wait to see more projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nadia, such wonderful praise from a talented artist as yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that blanket is simply gorgeous! (Zoe's pretty cute in her sweater too.) Congrats on the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, my aunt gave me the pattern before she passed away and she made blankets with her leftovers too. I have another one Im working on finishing made with 4 strands of baby yarn, but the Zoe dog keeps sitting on it and trying to claim it. My dh says her modeling photo makes her look crabby. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going to blogs and seeing what others make and create. It's fun learning more about them, too :) You are no exception. Once I figure out how to join your blog I will. I am using my phone.

    I love your doggy sweater. I wish could dress up my doggy in a sweater. Alas, she's a tomboy through and through!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All you have to do is press the button "follow me" at the top of the blog. I too have trouble figuring out blogs and how to navigate them. That's why this blog isn't too fancy. I live in the Great White North, if Zoe wants to go outside, she has to wear her sweater if it's cold. She was giving me the "look" in the picture when we put on her sweater. lol

    ReplyDelete